Sunday, December 13, 2009

Half and Happy

A half marathon is ENOUGH for me :) Rachel and I are DEFINITELY happy halfers...

We went to the 23 mile marker to see our friend Aimee and cheer her on and I can tell you, seeing the marathoners at the 23 mile mark is not pretty. Not at all. One man was completely bent over in a 90 degree angle from cramping and still running, every other man had blood dripping from their chaffed nipples, and all of the runners faces were disfigured with pain and sheer will to finish. I knew how I was feeling only doing half their distance and it isn't a feeling I want again any time soon...maybe ever.

Last night I vacillated between running and not running today. When I went to bed last night I was not running. But when I woke up and saw Rachel getting ready I changed my mind. I wanted to get this half over with...didn't want to train or sign up for another one when I was this close to being done with it. So, Kelly dropped us off at the American Airlines at 7 and we hung out in there with the other crazies. Took off at 8 and ran Turtle Creek, so pretty, and then uphill across 75, to Greenville, down the M Streets and back, down to Katy Trail...we ran the last three miles in 24 minutes...it was downhill and we were thinking maybe we could hit the 2 hour mark...didn't make it, 2:04, but we never cared about our time...only just at the end when we thought maybe we could do it...

Brooke called me after the race to ask me if I was missing her and to tell me that she worshiped and thought about God and how much He loves her today...she went to big church with Mimi and Papa to see Erin sing in the choir...Kyle taped Erin and boy, she LOVES to be on stage...she smiled so big and sang her little heart out!

Tonight I feel yucky and ready to go to bed...hopefully redeeming a gift certificate to Bella Renova tomorrow, if I can get in!


2 comments:

Stacy said...

That's my girl Brooke!
Miss Texas....2025?

Team Dale said...

I went to the race and actually looked for ya'll at the 9 mile mark right before you would have crossed back over 75. Was send you and your sis prayers. I told her I was going to the race. Would have loved to have cheered you on as you ran by! I was busy driving to relay locations...next year...I think I might have to join in on what seemed like FUN! i was not at the end mark where you saw the pain...i did see the things you described! merry christmas to you and yours!