Friday, September 26, 2008

God's Provision

I started "mole checks" because of my age and all the sun exposure I had in my naive days of high school and college.  When I was about six months pregnant with Kameron I noticed a black dot...it literally looked like someone had touched me with a black ball point pen.  Despite it's size, I was instantly concerned and showed Kyle...he was like that's so small, how did you even notice it?  Then said, "I'm sure it's fine".  Although I felt relieved after his encouragement, I called the dermatologist and made an appointment.  By the time I went to the appointment, 4 months later, I had totally forgotten about that little spot on my side.  She did her exam and as she was walking out the door I said, "Oh, I almost forgot, I have a tiny little spot on my side, will you look at it really quick?"  She came back over with her magnifying lens and leaned down to look at it...she took a little longer than usual and said "I don't like him...you almost got out of here unscathed".  She used a 2mm punch, the smallest they have, and removed the spot.  It came back as severe dysplasia, one stage before melanoma.  I had more tissue removed after I delivered Kameron and will have to go every three months for "melanoma checks".  She said I was as lucky as a girl could get, but I knew better...




As she cauterized vessels and stitched the skin back together, I was thankful.  Thankful for God's provision over my life and to my mom and dad for all their years of praying for me.  


1 comment:

Lacey said...

I got skin cancer last year and had surgery on my head last May...that's why I have the huge scar on my forehead. I too get checked every six months unless I see something "fishy." glad you are okay.